- First steps in organising and directing work effort
A 2-day open course
Supervisors and Team Leaders have to manage people but still work as part of the team - which means being a first line supervisor is a challenging role, requiring very good people management skills. This is what this course focuses on.
It is, therefore, ideal for recently promoted supervisors/team leaders or for those in the role who have had no formal training and want a refresher course.
Many supervisors are promoted into a supervisory position with little or no training support and whilst they are not “failing” they may lack the knowledge and skills to get the best from the team they supervise. Our Supervisory & Team Leader Skills open course is the ideal solution and as such organisations will find it is a useful addition to their own internal supervisor training courses.
Whilst it is pitched at an introductory level, experienced supervisors will also find attending a useful way to ensure their knowledge is updated and to hone their existing skills.
Who will benefit from this course?
Designed for first line supervisors and team leaders who have to manage people whilst still working as part of the team they supervise. Perfect for those recently promoted into a supervisory position who want to understand how to supervise others effectively. It is also very useful for those already in a supervisory role looking to refresh and update their skills.
What you will get from attending:
- A good understanding of the role and responsibilities of the front line supervisor
- Clear guidelines for effective supervision of your team
- Practice of the key skills necessary for organising and directing your team’s work effort successfully
- Expert advice from your trainer to help you resolve any specific issues or concerns you have about supervising your team
- A multitude of tips to improve your personal effectiveness as a supervisor
- To enable delegates to learn the basic people management techniques that will allow them to get maximum performance from their team.
- To build confidence in supervising others.
The Role of the Supervisor/Team Leader
- Making the First Move into People Management
- Avoiding the Pitfalls and Problems
- The Mechanics and Dynamics of Supervision
- Characteristics of Effective Teams
- Developing Your Leadership Skills
Motivating Yourself and Others
- The Theory
- Recognising the Needs of Subordinates
- Putting Theory into Practice
Controlling The Team
- Quality and You
- Setting Objectives
- Work Allocation and Delegation
- Dealing with Problem Behaviours
Maintaining Team Performance
- Identifying Training Needs
- On the Job Training
- Performance Reviews
Key Communication Skills
- Leading Effective Team Meetings
- Learning to Really Listen
- Giving Feedback
- Assessing Your Personal Efficiency
- Urgent vs. Important: Prioritising and Planning
- Action Planning
Testimonials for Supervisory and Team Leader Skills
“Great course. Very Useful.” EW, Money Advice Service
"Subject knowledge was great, explaining so I could understand, was really good." AR, Kelvin Hughes
“Great Tutor, was very clear and explained all areas in depth” DH, Minelco Ltd
"Very interesting. Tutor was extremely informative and helped answer any questions.” NP, Adamas
Supervisor courses help you develop the key skills needed to organise and direct the work effort of your team. Over these two days you will be given clear guidelines on each topic and will have the opportunity to hone your team leader skills with the practical exercises.
Specifically designed to address the development needs of those moving into a supervisory or team leader position, this supervisory and team leader training will provide delegates with an understanding of the role and responsibilities of a supervisor together with a foundation of the key skills and underlying knowledge necessary to supervise people effectively. As such it is very practical and pragmatic.
You will be part of a small group with fellow delegates coming from a wide variety of other organisations. We deliberately run this with small numbers to create a safe and supportive learning environment so that every one can participate fully throughout the two days. This also provides delegates with the opportunity to understand organisations that are different to their own organisation and to interact with supervisors who have different experiences to their own. Insights gained through such interaction in group discussions and group exercises are particularly valuable to supervisors as they help to positively challenge their own assumptions and so become more rounded supervisors.
Our team leader training courses are very interactive. The exercises and case studies used in this programme are supplemented with specially designed self-assessments and questionnaires. These, combined with lively discussion and a focus on real life issues, ensures every delegate can relate the learning points to their own situation and can develop specific action points that can be implemented when back supervising their team. Our highly experienced and supportive tutors will give your supervisors the confidence to step up to the challenges of positively supervising the work effort of others and provide them with the essential tools to succeed.
It all starts by identifying the role and responsibilities of the supervisor and exploring the common problems faced when moving into a supervisory role. Personal effectiveness principles are reviewed to help supervisors make time for supervising others. The key skills of supervising a team of people are then covered in a systematic way. These include motivation, control, maintaining team performance and communication skills.
In summary, this supervisory and team leader course is a great way to invest in your supervisors, and your organisation’s, future success.
What is included in the fee?
All materials, lunch and refreshments are provided on this programme.
Start: 10 am Finish 5 pm, both days
Recommended Follow-on Training
- Persuading & Influencing skills – how to reach positive outcomes
- Time Management – learn the techniques of the top performers
- Financial Awareness – everything you need to know about business finance for the non-specialist
Two-for-One When You Book Online Today
Book two places on any of our open course programmes and the second place will be free. Places must be on the same course date and be booked together. Special offer T&C apply.
If you are not satisfied that you have benefited by attending this Supervisory and Team Leader Skills course then we will refund your course fee.