A 3-day open course with accommodation available onsite if required.
This management development programme is for experienced managers. It is an intensive open course that will equip individuals with the business management skills needed for a senior managerial position. Over the three days the programme looks at the issues facing the senior manager who has to manage in today’s competitive and widening market environment.
It is sometimes assumed that if you have been a manager for any length of time then progression into a more senior role is both natural and easy. This is simply not true. There are many challenges associated with a senior management position that require managers to acquire new knowledge and develop new skills. This three day residential programme is designed to address these areas. It is specifically for experienced managers thinking of moving into a more senior role. The course provides a structured in-depth review of the key management areas relevant to those who will be managing at a senior level.
Who will benefit from attending?
Experienced managers about to take on a more senior management role who want to understand the key factors of effective business management.
What you will get from attending:
- A thorough understanding of what it means to be a senior manager today
- Strategic thinking and planning skills
- Advanced people management skills
- Practical experience of dealing with complex issues and making difficult decisions
- Expert advice and stimulation to inspire your performance
- To define the role and function of the senior manager
- To examine the implications of short/long term strategic planning and develop strategic planning skills
- To understand the importance of managing through being a leader in today's working environment
- To build individual, management and leadership skills and how to get the most from your people
The Senior Manager Today
- The Skills Needed
- Challenges Businesses Face
- Role of the Senior Manager
- Managerial Attributes
- Leadership Dimensions
- Qualities of Leaders
- Situational Leadership
Strategic and Business Planning
- Strategic Planning and Why
- The Planning Cycle
- Developing a Strategy and Business Plan
- Cascading the Plans for Action
- Managing Change
- Role of Project Management
- Critical Success Measures
The Three Fundamental Levels of Management
- Which Level Do You Operate On?
- Practical Application
Recruiting the Right Staff
- The Recruiting Process
- Using Competencies and Selection Scoring
- Interviewing Techniques and Selection
- Validating the Recruitment Process
Getting the Best from Staff
- The Need to Develop People for High Performance
- Identifying Training Needs
- Setting Development Plans and Monitoring Progress
- Role of the Manager in Staff Motivation
Importance of Communication
- Key Communication Skills
- Making the Most of Meetings
- Power of Positive Language
Assessing and Monitoring Performance
- Setting Clear Objectives and Targets
- Assessing and Appraising Staff
- Feedback and Monitoring
- Dealing with People Problems
- Discipline Measures
Managing Time Effectively
- Taking Control
- Planning Aids and Techniques
- Controlling the Issues that Waste Time
- Using Delegation
- Recognising the Stress Issue
Testimonials For Management Development Programme
“Rich experience all around, brilliant approach and delivery of the course.” EL, Tomy
“Lots of content but didn't feel rushed, plenty of feedback and time for reflection.” RM, Allparts Automotive
This programme is led by our most senior tutors. These tutors bring their wealth of practical experience in working at senior management positions to the training.
Designed to provide essential knowledge and skills development to fully equip managers so they are able to handle the challenges associated with a more senior management role, it is the obvious choice for the successful manager who recognises the benefits of continuous personal improvement. Organisations will also find this a useful addition to supplement their own internal management development programmes.
The tutor will use discussions, specially designed case studies and a variety of exercises to review modern senior management techniques with the delegates. Specific skill development exercises are included to provide opportunities for delegates to practice selected key skill areas and to hone their existing management skills.
During the programme delegates are challenged to critically assess their personal strengths and weaknesses and so identify actions for continuous improvement. Learning diaries and tutor review are used to facilitate this process and convert ideas into action plans for post-training implementation.
Just as it is necessary for a manager to know what will change when they first become a manager, so it is important for a manager moving into a senior position to recognise and understand the differences the new role brings in terms of role, skills and challenges. After these differences have been clarified, the programme looks at planning. Long term planning is a key part of the senior managers role and so the key subjects of strategic business planning and implementation are dealt with in depth on this course.
Senior managers are also responsible for the growth of the organisation, and crucial to achieving this is correct staff recruitment, on-going development of high performance and potential. All these areas are covered.
One of the biggest complaints in organisations of all sizes is poor communication. Senior managers must be great communicators and the course looks at senior management communication methods.
In summary, this course is the ideal preparation for those in, or about to be promoted to, a management role at the senior level.
What is included in the fee?
All support materials, lunch and refreshments are provided on this programme.
Day 1 Start: 10 am Finish 5 pm
Day 2 Start: 9 am Finish 5 pm
Day 3 Start: 9 am Finish 4.30 pm
Recommended Follow-on programmes
- Executive Leadership Programme- leadership skills for senior managers
- Financial Awareness- Everything you need to know about business finance for the non-specialist
- Presentation Skills – Master techniques for maximum impact
If you are not satisfied that you have benefited by attending our Management Development Programme, then we will refund your course fee.