- creating clear, concise, results focused written communications
A 1-day workshop
Everyone in business has to write - whether e-mails, letters, reports or proposals - and those who want to excel in written business communication should attend this fun and informative workshop.
It focuses on the key principles of written business communication and provides positive guidelines for writing so that your communication is effective.
Many, otherwise fluent, verbal communicators struggle when asked to communicate using the written word. Yet written communication, often in the form of email, dominates the business environment. Thus, whatever job you do, the ability to write well is more important than ever. Poor written communications wastes time and money. Poor written communications reflects badly not only on the writer but also the writer’s organisation. Everyone who wishes to hone their written communication skills will benefit from attending this workshop.
Who will benefit from attending?
This course is suitable for everyone who uses the written word to communicate with colleagues, suppliers or customers and who wants to review and hone their business writing skills.
What you will get from attending:
- A thorough understanding of the key principles and techniques for effective written business communication
- Positive guidelines for writing business letters, e-mail, reports and proposals
- Expert individual guidance on improving the effectiveness of your own written communications
- To provide positive guidelines for all forms of business correspondence.
- To examine real examples of how to, and how not to, communicate a message in the written form.
- To practice the art of effective business writing.
The Impact of Poor Communication on Business
Principles of Effective Business Writing
- Deciding When to Write
- The 7 C’s of Written Communication
- The 4 Stages of Writing
Getting the Purpose Clear
- Delivering the Key Message
- Creating Logic and Sequence
Writing External Business Correspondence
- Creating the Right Impression
- Using the Correct Greeting and Close
- Structure and Layout Considerations
Improving Internal Correspondence
- E-Mail Etiquette
- Better Reports
Choosing the Right Words
- Active and Passive "Voice"
- Making Bad News Sound Better
Putting It Into Practice
- Practical Exercises to Improve Skills
Your Action Plan
Testimonials for Effective Written Communication
"Very comprehensive and useful course." DA, MDU Services Ltd
"A very clear and structured course. Thank you." KD, Barnaroos
"I thoroughly enjoyed the real life business writing examples - Tutor kept us interested throughout the day." NA, Bebitte and Touche LLP
"Very informative course with an excellent tutor!" EA, CBI
Business writing is very different to the type of creative writing many of us were taught at school or to the written assignments we completed at college or university. Common problems associated with business writing include how to get started, how to write both clearly and concisely and how to end. This one day practical and pragmatic workshop will show you how to master the written word so you can be more confident that your written business communications will be both effective and professional.
It is not run like an English lesson – instead it systematically covers the key principles of effective business writing. Using both exercises and real life examples, delegates learn how to - and how not to - communicate a message in the written form. It is a fun and informative day covering letters, email, reports and proposals.
For effectiveness numbers on this course are strictly limited so that each delegate receives individual support from the tutor. Delegates can bring examples of their own written communications to the workshop and receive individual guidance and advice from the tutor on how these could be improved. This support extends to afterwards, when delegates can continue to contact their tutor using Spearheads dedicated support help line. There are also excellent support materials provided at the end of the day that form a valuable reference source for the future.
It is run at regular intervals at our venues in London and Oxfordshire. Both training centres are easy to get to and so most delegates will be able to attend without the need for an overnight stay. However, if accommodation is required there are suitable hotels local to both venues that you can book.
In summary, taking one day to attend will be an excellent investment of your time because you will leave knowing how to make your written communications more effective – and that is good for you and good for your organisation.
What is included in the fee?
All support materials, lunch and refreshments are provided on this programme.
Start: 10 am Finish 5 pm
Recommended Follow-on Training
- Persuading and Influencing Skills – how to reach positive outcomes
- Time Management – top techniques for busy people
- Assertiveness Skills – the art of confident communication
If you are not satisfied that you have benefited by attending our Effective Written Communication, then we will refund your course fee.