- making category management work for you
A 2-day open course
Designed for National Account Managers, Business Account Managers, Sales Managers, Marketeers, Retail Buyers and Merchandisers wishing to gain a thorough understanding of category management.
It will also benefit cross-functional team members (e.g. logistics, finance, production, I.T.) wanting to understand the terminology and processes used by commercial colleagues and highlight the part they have to play.
Category Management is now widely used, predominately by retailers and wholesalers in the FMCG market. Suppliers to retailers will benefit from having a full understanding of the terminology and processes of Category Management. This two day category management specialist programme covers all aspects of the subject with a case study running throughout to illustrate the key issues. During the programme delegates will examine each stage of the category management process, associated issues and techniques, and the need for a faster more results-orientated process. Also, how to make research and analysis more effective and the necessity of producing practical plans that deliver results.
Who will benefit from this course?
For everyone working in the FMCG market who wants to fully understand the principles and practice of Category Management.
What you will get from attending:
- A thorough understanding of Category Management
- Knowledge on how to use the principles to enhance your supplier profile
- Practice and development of key processes and techniques
- Confidence to talk the ‘language’ of Category Management
- A personalised practical plan that will deliver results
- To provide delegates with a sound understanding of Category Management by examining each stage of the process and techniques.
- To ensure delegates appreciate the future for Category Management is a more effective, faster and results-orientated process.
- To understand how all suppliers can apply best practice principles to improve consumer understanding, category development and day to day trading.
- To appreciate the need to build sustainable collaborative relationships.
- To provide the opportunity to practice and develop some of the processes and techniques using case studies based on category plans developed by leading grocery multiples and their key partner supplier.
Category Management Origin, Definition and Core Principles
Current Status and Issues with Category Management in the U.K.
The Benefits of Adopting Category Management Principles
Building Sustainable Collaborative Relationships
Making the Eight Step Process More Effective
Delivering Actionable Rsults and Improved Performance by Focusing on What the Consumer Really Wants.
Making Consumer Research and Data Analysis more Cost Effective
- Defining categories
- The category role
- Identifying opportunities
- Building category plans
- Developing tactics for pricing, promotion, range, merchandising & supply chain
Making Consumer Research & data Analysis More Cost Effective
Developing Well-focussed Category Strategies & Tactics to Satisfy Target Consumers and Gain Competitive Advantage.
Best Practice Examples to Improve Implementation In-store
Simplifying the way Forward for Category Management
Making Category Management a Day-to-Day Activity
Individual Action Plans
Testimonials for Category Management
"A course delivered in a logical manner and a stepped process." DN, Graham & Brown
"A very good course. Clearly defined and I particularly liked how all elements were related back to my specific needs." CW, Smithfield Foods Ltd
"Very enjoyable - Will use to good effect." PW, Churchill China
"In total, a really good course!" PW, ACO
The programme begins with the origin of Category Management and then moves on to how it is used in the UK. Delegates are taken step by step through the processes of Category Management. The strategy and tactical use of the system are discussed and how they are used to gain a competitive advantage. Delegates will finish by producing an individual action plan relating to their market sector.
What is included in the fee?
All course materials, lunch and refreshments are provided on the programme.
Start: 10 am Finish 5 pm
Recommended Follow-on Training
- Financial Awareness - everything you need to know about business finance for the non-specialist
- National Account Management - effective management of the national account and the trading performance
- Presentation Skills – master techniques for maximum impact
If you are not satisfied that you have benefited by attending our Category Management course, then we will refund your course fee.