- everything you need to know about finance for the non specialist
A 2-day open course
If, like many people, financial information is presented in a way that you find intimidating and difficult to understand then this Financial Awareness course is for you!
Successful managers, marketing and sales people can be even more effective when they have a better understanding of the commercial considerations that interact with their own discipline.
This programme is for those who are not financial specialists. It is ideal for those who recognise the benefit of understanding how the financial side of the business operates but are confused by the jargon and conventions.
The programme is designed to achieve two aims: firstly to sweep away the mysteries of financial jargon; secondly, to translate the formats and conventions of financial information making them easy to understand. It takes a practical, pragmatic view of money matters. We will translate the jargon, conventions and formats of accounting so that they become useful tools for you. Interesting case studies and practical exercises, reinforced by tutor led discussions, form an important part of this programme.
Who will benefit from attending?
Specially designed for non-financial people who recognise the benefit of understanding financial information. It is an in-depth course suitable for managers or sales and marketing professionals who need to really understand finance so that they make better business decisions.
What you will get from attending:
- An in depth understanding of business finance, including the jargon that surrounds it
- The ability to read behind the accounts and use financial tools to analyse the data
- Confidence to form judgements and make decisions based on financial information
- To cut through the waffle that surrounds business finance and provide a simple understanding of finance and accounting matters.
- To provide delegates with the ability to analyse and use financial tools as an aid to making better business decisions.
Finance Its Part in the Marketing Mix
The Cash Flow Cycle
- Lots of Business and How to Go Bust
- Working Capital How It Is Used
- Cash Flow and Profits
How Costs are Quantified
- Costs of Production and Selling
- Absorption Costing
- Marginal Costing
- Standard Costing
Understanding the Statutory Accounts
- The Profit and Loss Account
- The Balance Sheet
- Cash Flow Statement
- Accounting Conventions
- The Vital Management Tool
- Cash Flow Forecasts
- Using Ratios to Analyse Performance
- Making Inter-firm Comparisons
- Using Data to Make Decisions
The Evaluation of Financial Risk
- Discounted Cash Flow
Forecasting and Budgets
- What Forecasts do we Need?
- How to Make Better Forecasts
- Using Forecasts to Decide the Budget
- Zero Based Budgeting
- Factors Affecting Price
- Elasticity of Demand
- Pricing Methods
- Volume, Price and Contribution
Testimonials for Financial Awareness
"I feel as though I understand balance and forecast sheets much more!" DR, Kudos Blends
"One of the best training course I have been on. Clive is an A+ trainer." NL, Omega Pharma
"Very good course. Very informative and presented in a practical and easy to understand way." AD, Unifrax Ltd
"The tutor was patient and has excellent delivery." RW, RM Plc
"Clive's method and manner are fantastic. Educational and fun course." LB, Magna
To achieve this, the programme starts by explaining how money is used in a business, the difference between profit and cash flow and the different types of costs and how they are quantified. It then moves on to two important types of accounts: statutory accounts and management accounts.
Under the helpful guidance of the tutor you will begin to analyse a set of accounts and as your confidence builds will start to form judgements based on the financial data presented. With these skills mastered you then move on to evaluating financial risk, forecasting, budgets and pricing methods.
We have taken the care to produce support materials that helps the subject matter to be easily understood in an interesting and informative way. Many people comment favourably on how well we make a potentially dry subject interesting!
Attendance will repay itself many times over with improved understanding and management of finances. It is a must for anyone who needs to understand finance. It therefore represents excellent value for money from a financial point of view.
Individual support and guidance is provided for each delegate to ensure a full understand the subject matter. We limit group sizes to ensure an interactivity so delegates will have the opportunity to relate to their own situation and bring the material to life.
The programme is two days in duration so that delegates can gain a full understanding of finance. A two day duration provides sufficient time for delegates to participate in exercises that aid the deeper learning process.
Delegates will leave Financial Awareness with a CD containing comprehensive reference materials to provide a useful aid when they return to their workplace.
What is included in the fee?
All supporting materials, lunch and refreshments are provided on this programme.
Start: 10 am Finish 5 pm
Recommended Follow-on Training
- Effective Written Communication – the principles and practice of effective business writing
- Time Management – top techniques for busy people
- Persuading and Influencing skills – how to reach positive outcomes
If you are not satisfied that you have benefited by attending our Financial Awareness course, then we will refund your course fee.